Wednesday, December 14, 2005

SMOKE AND MIRRORS

Looks like there will be another initiative on the ballot to raise the tax on cigarettes another $2.60 a pack. I'm not a smoker but I get suspicious

whenever government or special interest decide to tax anything. The new initiative would provide an estimated $2.27 billion annually. Of course the money will go for the children's health care (I really get nervous when they use children) and for emergency rooms, disease research blah,blah,blah.

Why should I care if I don't smoke? Because I know this ballot will pass and when they have finally taxed smoking to the point that hardly anyone smokes who will pay for all these now unfunded programs? I don't eat junk food so I guess there are other roads to take.

You can read the SacBee article here

2 Comments:

At 2:12 PM , Blogger Mike said...

The government with more of our money to spend means more constituency to buy. As P. J. O'Rourke said: Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whisky and the car keys to teenage boys.

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

12 19 05

OK Pappy you do bring up some good points. As the use of tobacco declines, programmes who use it as a funding source will suffer. I suppose the question is in the meantime will such infusions into programmes help. I am a smoker (and havta quit after this last episode. Thx for wishing me well btw:)) Mike brings up a good point too. Now the question is what funds SHOULD we use to assist children? Because I care about kids and any programmes out there to help them are based on a decent principle!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home